1.2.3. Characterization of the Solomonov - Jebrianovsk gulf choice related to the construction of the deep water navigable canal ( choice 1 )
The choice with respect to the Solomonov channel - Jebrianovsk gulf locks canal has been selected, as it fulfils the following conditions:
- a small volume of soil needs to be dug out;
- the complete preservation of the Jebriansk and Ermakov island rocky structure;
- the complete preservation of the technological systems within the Bazarciuk river gulf;
- there are no crossing over existing waterways.
The project envisages the construction of the following:
- a navigable canal and harbor, delimited by dykes;
- a navigable locks, along with a tunnel-like road pass, for automobiles;
- depositing areas for the excavated soil, settled next to the canal;
- a maritime access canal;
- the displacement of the installations and enterprises within the Bazarciuk river gulf, whose activity is going to be affected by the construction of the canal;
- the dykes in the offing within the Bazarciuk pools and the harbor area.
Taking into account the fact that this canal is to cross the Danube Natural Reserve, whose surface waters level is under the average level of the sea water, the canal should be provided with a dyke the water depth in the pools area is 0.5-0.8 m. Consequently, should the canal be exploited without the previous construction of the dykes, the waves caused by the passing of the ships are bound to affect the pools area. Dykes shall be more than necessary during flooding periods.
According to the project, the dykes are to be built out of soil, being 0.5 higher than the maximum secure height.
The locks shall allow the navigation no matter the difference between the water level of the river and the water level of the sea and it shall prevent the sand pushed by the Danube to be deposited in the canal. However, where the canal goes out into the sea, the protection of the canal is technically burdened, as the tract of the maritime access canal runs parallelly to the current line of the deposits along the sea shore.
According to the calculations of the Academy of Science of Ukraine, the annual volume of the exploitations from the maritime access canal shall be 300,000 cubic meters.
Hydro-monitors (absorption dredges and excavation dredges) shall be used for the construction of the canal, of the dykes and of the maritime access canal.
The daily productivity of an absorption dredge is 3,000-4,000 cubic meters, while that of an excavation dredge is 2,000-2,500 cubic meters. During the spawning period, the works are to be stopped for a month’s time.
In case that, in various sections of the canal : 6 absorption dredges and 3 excavation dredges were used concomitantly with the construction of the hydro technical installations, construction process shall last for 64 months, including the 4 months of preparatory works. Besides dredges, floating cranes, barges and tug boats are going to be used.
The excavation soil, not to be used for constructions, will be dumped into the deep sea; this dumping area shall be previously established, according to the law.