The DDRB was established by the Romanian Government in 1990, a decision confirmed by the Romanian Parliament through law 82 of 1993. The natural patrimony of the Danube Delta Biosphere Reserve is managed by DDRB, for biodiversity conservation and sustainable development. The main objectives of the DDRB are, as follows:
- to provide sustainable measures and protected of the biological diversity;
- to enforce the measures for ecological restoration;
- to asses the state of the natural resources, the potential for its use, according the capacity of support and the ecosystemís capacity of support;
- to issue licences, for economic activity;
- to support the research and the international cooperation activities;
- to organize information and ecological awareness activities.
In 2000, the DDRB received the European Council Diploma for Protected areas.